#header-inner {text-align:center !important;} -->

Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Close Call

As I have said many times before, Taylor Rose is a very curious, highly animated bundle of high-voltage energy. 
Here she is all dressed up and ready to go shopping.  She picked everything out and refused to let me have any say.  (BTW, these shoes are now her uniform.  She picked them out and even wore them out of the store.)
Yes, she is tightly gripping the neck of a bear dressed as a groom.  Foreshadowing, perhaps?

I have also started school with her.  Christian is studying Texas this week, which means Taylor Rose is sort of learning about it.  I thought it'd be fun for them to paint their own flag.  Wrong.  She bathed in it.  Even her hair had paint.  You might ask yourself "Why doesn't that woman keep an eye on her?".  Well, I had to pee.  And this girl has lightning speed when it comes to mischief.  I also bought them some Bingo markers to play with while I got a few things done.  Another bad idea.  She bit the felt tops off and drank the ink. 
Today we learned about secondary colors and fractions.  So, we made cookies and used food coloring.  It usually takes about 8 minutes to throw together a batch of sugar cookie dough.  I knew it'd be a bit of a challenge trying to keep an eye on Tay, as well as explaining fractions to CK.  In that time, she had managed to eat about 1/4 of the dough (there is a fraction!), almost break both of my measuring cups, pull off my shorts - almost twice, dump out a plant, knock down the vanilla, bump her head, and make me trip four times.  I ended up laughing... it was just ridiculous how eventful the lesson had become.  But!  Christian did learn halves and fourths!  Our cookies did turn out wonderfully!  And the kids did learn secondary colors and how to make them from primary colors! 
 
 
Hopefully that precursor provided a little perspective.  Perspective is necessary to understand the inevitability of this next story...
 
 
Ryan and Christian were at the country club for their weekly golf lesson.  I was home with Taylor Rose and Maven. 
As I was feeding Maven on the couch, Tay disappeared for about 1 minute.  I called her, and she returned with a story "I drink Mamen's me-cine".  WHAAAT?!  DID YOU DRINK IT ALL?  She replied, "noooo" with a cute smile.  I went and checked the window ledge next to my bed where I had indescreetly left Maven's pain medicine, just in case I needed it (she had oral surgery to correct a lip and tongue tie - more on that later).  Sure enough, the brand new unused bottle was completely EMPTY. 
It was double child-proof!
I calmly called 9-1-1.  I told them that I was probably calling the wrong place, but needed to know what to do since my two year old had just downed an entire bottle of Ibuprofen. I figured they'd probably just tell me to keep an eye on her.  Instead, the dispatcher sent over two ambulances, a fire truck, and a police car.  They looked at the bottle and realized that it was Tylenol, which suddenly lit a fire under their britches.  Apparently, that is bad.  The paramedic asked me to carry her out to the ambulance so we could head to the hospital, but I told him I had an infant asleep inside.  He said he'd get the baby if I'd take Tay out, because he didn't want to "scare her more than she already was".  Psh... I know Tay and she wasn't scared ONE BIT.  She was having fun!  She put her arms out to the paramedic and left me in my tracks.  She never hesitated.  They ran all kinds of tests on her during our short ride.  They all kept telling her how stinkin' cute she was.  She loved every minute of it.  As soon as we pulled into the E.R., Poison Control had confirmed that she had NOT taken a lethal dose. 
I wasn't sure I had heard correctly... excuse me?  Lethal???  I didn't even know that was a concern!  Oh.my.gosh!
So, we sat in the E.R. and Taylor Rose destroyed the room. 
As I was talking to the nurse, Tay fell off the bed, pushed the 'nurse call' button three times, and then fell off of the doctor's spinny chair.  I gave her gum and a pen with paper to keep her busy.  She colored on the bed and put the gum on the bottom of her foot (rush out the door = no shoes, no pants).  I tried to grab the gum before she put it in her - oh, missed that one.  She was already chewing on it before I could finish my thought. 
Gross.  Hospital floor gum. 
We finally got word that she had actually taken the absolute maximum amount she could take without it causing damage, according to her body weight.  Woah!  Talk about a God thing! 
Again, as most things are with our adventurous little girl, this was a very eventful night.  Hopefully, the hospital fun ends here, though.  This was too scary and too close of a call.
She threw it all up on her own and never missed a beat.
Here she is waiting.
They gave her apple juice and put on some cartoons.  I also found some pants and put them on her.  Right now, as I am typing, Tay sees her pic and says "I messy!"... she is remembering that she spilled her apple juice all over that bed. 

2 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness....what a mess!! I do feel bad for you though- you certainly have your hands full with a newborn as well. I honestly can't even imagine that right now. Ben keeps me running all day long and at the end of each day I feel so exhausted and like I have run a marathon! And then to be taking care of a newborn AND having fractions lessons with your kids. Wow! You are a super mom!!!! And I so know what you mean about when people think, Geez don't you watch your kid??? Ha! I completely understand! Those things happen in the 2 seconds you are out of the room all the time! Hang in there- so glad Tay is okay!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember you telling me this story this summer! You are such a good writter! I love reading your blogs!
    Jess M

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcomed!