#header-inner {text-align:center !important;} -->

Thursday, May 10, 2012

And then there were three (UPDATED)...

**I left out quite a bit of details, so I added them in bold print.

Ryan and I are now the proud parents of three sweet babies. 
Introducing Maven Shaye Matthews, 7 lbs 6 oz and 18 1/4 in
Each of the kids' middle names are after a family member. 
Maven Shaye - after Shane, my brother. 
Christian Kelley - after my sister, Kelli. 
Taylor Rose - after Ryan's grandma Rose and my great grandma Rose. 
 Born March 31 at 10:52 am
I was scheduled to be induced that morning to possibly avoid shoulder dystosia, which I had with Taylor Rose.  We arrived at the hospital at 5:00 am.  After checking in and getting situated, and still not induced by 7:00, I discovered that I was actually in labor with contractions about five minutes apart.  I didn't feel uncomfortable at all, so I wasn't aware that I was in real labor.  (sounds like my last labor, huh?)  I went ahead and had the epidural, even though just the thought of it scares the bleep out of me.  She arrived not long afterwards.  Everything went very smooth and was eerily calm.  It felt like time was in slow motion up until the doctor saw her head.  He noticed the cord was wrapped around her neck TWICE.  It was VERY TIGHT!... so tight that it couldn't be cut to free her. (I think the doctor snipped her head a little when he attempted to cut the cord because she had a mysterious scab for an entire week.)He told me that we'd just have to hurry up and get her out.  Um, no pressure there!  So, I pushed with aaaaall my might.  The nurses rushed in to get her to cry, which gets the blood flowing and shows lung function.  It took her a bit, but she let out the sweetest little gargle I have ever heard.  Her lungs were full of fluid.  She had swallowed a lot of amniotic fluid.  A LOT.  She threw it up for 2 days afterwards.
The second day, Ryan and I were talking and Maven started to make some odd sounds.  I looked at her and she was gasping.  I said "She is choking!  Go get a nurse!!".  He barely had the door open when our nurse had Maven in her arms, banging on her back, and running down the hall with her.  Ryan followed with the baby cart, with a look on his face that said "what the heck just happened?!".  After a few minutes, Maven was back in our room and doing fine.  The nurse explained that the fluid was mixed with mucous, which made it very thick. Her lungs were still clearing out and couldn't quit push out that sticky mess.  Nonetheless, it was scary.
Since the labor, my epidural site has been very sore.  It is much better now, but I kind of regret having it. 
Things at home have gone really well.  The kids can't keep their hands off of Maven.  They love her so much!  She only wakes up once or twice a night and sleeps until about 9 am.  So far, she is a very mellow and content baby.  Christian and Taylor Rose are adjusting very well.  Actually, I don't know if any adjustment even occurred... I think she has just meshed into our lives like a brand new toy. 
To me, she looks like a perfect combination of Christian and Taylor Rose. (click on their names to see)





















1 comment:

  1. Amazingness, thanks for sharing! Welcome Maven cannot wait to meet you this summer!!!!
    The Meltons

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcomed!