#header-inner {text-align:center !important;} -->

Monday, December 6, 2010

To milk or not to milk?

I know a lot of health nuts and naturalists are not so into milk these days.  My family loves milk - we eat cereal like its going out of style.  Ever had Cascadian Farm's Multi Grain Squares, Mom's Best Mallow Oats, or Kashi Honey Sunshine?  We looooove them!  Soy milk just isn't good for people since it converts to estrogen.  Coconut and rice milk taste like water.  I like the real deal, yo!
So, I sent myself on a mission a few months back to find a milk that is A) fully nutritious (like it was in the olden days),  B) yummo!, and  C) easily accessible.   My solution?  All Natchur L Farm in Cleburne, TX.
It was guuuurrr-eat!  I took the kids as a "field trip" so they could learn about where milk comes from and how it all works.  (I am not sure how much of that learning experience Taylor actually absorbed, but I will quiz her later and let you know the results.) 
We went with our new friend (our doctor's wife) and their three little ones - Carmyn, Josh, and Enzo.  Carmyn almost made it to the farm, but the bumpy road did her in.  She vomited all over their rental car and her clothes.  Luckily, I had a toddler sized shirt in the back of my car.  I had planned on returning it a few weeks ago, so hooray for procrastinating!  Janice, the farmer's wife, saw Carmyn's accident and came back with her daughter's skirt and leggings.  She said they were too small anyway.
The farm was uber cute!  As soon as we pulled up and saw the adorable red barn, I knew I was going to like this place.  We were greeted by two of the nicest people ever.  We were given a thorough lesson of the whole milking process and took a tour of the entire farm, meeting many animals and friendly folks along the way. We learned how pastuerized milk loses its vitamins in the heating process and how nutritious raw milk is, even helping to cure autism and other illnesses.  I think its fascinating that most lactose intolerant people can drink raw milk without a problem.
They told us to come back any time, no need for an RSVP.  I do plan on returning to let the kids run around, play on the playground, pet the animals, and spend some time outside.   Janice said she homeschools her daughter, which is something I am very interested in.  What a great place to raise children!   
We came home with 3 gallons of their delicious milk and a bag of homemade cheddar cheese.  They work from an honor system, so their "store" is basically a refrigerator, a dry erase board for thank-you's, and a tin can full of money sitting on a table. 





This little calf is rare because she is "blue" in color.  She is only 4 days old!
She was hungry and liked CK's finger!
This is their massive mule, and boy was she massive!
She was bigger than the horses!
This baby is only one day old.



Carmyn didn't mind her make-shift outfit one bit.


















1 comment:

  1. That is really awesome! Love to hear that there is stuff local like this! Go Mer!!!!
    Much love
    Jess

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcomed!