#header-inner {text-align:center !important;} -->

Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Crazy ol' Christian

I knew when Christian was born that he was particular and knew exactly what he wanted. I am very particular, why wouldn't my son be particular? When he was a few months old, I ran across the term "high needs baby" that Dr. Sears coined. This label has always fit Christian perfectly. I followed Dr. Sears' guidance and did the whole baby-wearing thing, swaddled religiously, kept things somewhat routine, kept his mind stimulated, and stayed in tune with his needs. This past summer, life got waaaay off track and we have just been flying by the seat of our pants ever since. Ryan and I have now gone back to following Dr. Sears' suggestions to raising a happy and healthy high-needs toddler. We do not over-correct or over-discipline, we use lots of praising, we are constistent and stern (meaning we will correct him if he is doing something that will hurt himself or others or will teach him a lesson to mold him into an outstanding adult), and we try to make his life semi predictable. After making a few small changes, our little boy is back to the happy boy he has always been. Some might blame these acts of defiance on a phase, but I really do believe it is because of the many changes in his life.... and being overly exhausted half the time. A nap sure can make a tremendous difference!

I love this sound!


CK is still working on his hiding skills... I don't think he realizes that this table has a GLASS top.
Again, still working on those hiding skills...
Its hard to tell in this pic, but this orange curtain is completely sheer, so we are still working on those skills...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcomed!